Thursday, February 19, 2015

Saw, Held & Ate a Crocodile!



Camp Crocs is 60 km from my house just off the Masaka Highway sitting on the shores of Africa's largest lake, Lake Victoria. 

Two year old crocodiles from the Nile River that are farmed for their skin and meat.

4 year old crocodiles, generally the age when they will export their skin. There are more than 4,000 crocodiles being farmed right now.

Canada is the country that they export the most skins to! They also export the belly skins to South Korea, Italy and other European countries. They sell each skin for $180 US dollars.

The crocodile that I held was only 1 year old. I am happy that I had help, as you have to hold the jaw really tight when you hold it.

My favourite crocodiles are Romeo and Juliet. The Crocodile Farm also rescues troublesome crocodiles  from the Nile River if they are causing problems to people in villages close to the river. 

Benjamin was rescued from Jinja because he had eaten 18 people! It was really fun to feed a crocodile a live chicken, the sound that it's jaw makes when it snaps is really loud.

Crocodile meat for lunch! You can also order a chicken for lunch that they will go and get from the farm and then kill it and cook it. The other option is tilapia which is the most common fish to eat in Uganda from Lake Victoria. 

It actually takes 2 hours to eat from the time you order because they go get the chicken live and have to catch the fish. My mouth is full of crocodile meat here, it was really good, a bit chewy though.

Here I am with my sisters on Lake Victoria.
 I am so thankful to God that he has created such a big and beautiful lake that is home to crocodiles, birds, hippos and amazing fish like tilapia. I am also thankful that I get to live in Africa and be so close to these amazing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment